Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2020

Lists...


I'm not much of a list person. Perhaps I'd get more done if I were, but I'd rather go about the day scattershot and what gets done, gets done. I've often thought about keeping a small notebook in my pocket as I go through the day making a list of the things I notice need doing around the place. But then there's the problem of the pen or pencil. I'd probably lose the first or bust the lead off the second when I sit or stoop over. A list, though, is a stressful thing. A list purports. A list demands you do something and usually in a certain order. I suppose you could make a list of fun, relaxing things to do, but these things usually take care of themselves, don't they?

It seems we always have a list stuck to the refrigerator. "We're out of catsup." "Put it on the list." We need more bacon, cereal, butter, eggs...toilet paper." Put 'em on the list." We even had to add "post-it" notes to the post-it note as we had listed ourselves out of post-it notes. I'm more acceptable of grocery lists as they mostly list foodstuffs, of which, by the way, I'm an avid fan. I find browsing the aisles of the grocery much less intimidating than the plumbing project I've put off or climbing a ladder which usually involves a paintbrush or backed up gutters.

Of those who make and use lists, I find there are two kinds: the first meticulously check off each item as it's gathered. This, of course, requires a writing utensil and you know where I stand in that regard. The second, to which I belong, gathers the goods one at time, making a mental note of each as it's added to the cart. Attending to a list in this manner often leads to considerable backtracking and willy nilly rambling through the aisles. But I don't mind: I'm in the company of food.
.
Those who are familiar with the shelves of produce may even "route"their list, thus directing themselves through the store with ease as they gather one item after the next.

Shoppers oftentimes leave their lists behind, either drop them accidentally or just discard them in their carts. I find such littering makes great reading; not really an invasion of privacy as no one includes his or her names on the list. It's entertaining to peruse the items and guess what's for lunch or dinner. Some lists even include a meal's menu, meatloaf, for instance. If the shopper is in a hurry, I suppose such forethought cuts a few minutes off the task, but I don't mind browsing around; it's food, after all.


I puzzle over some items on the lists. It's not often you find a shopper partial to parsnips. Or one who plans to purchase two pounds of butter cream icing. (Save me a slice from that cake.) Bosc pears? Do some recipes specify "Bosc?"Why not Bartlett or D'Anjou? "Cold beer." Why would someone buy warm beer? "Prunes."Aha...the organic "cleanser." Some seem out of place on a grocery list. "Flea meds?" (But no pet food?) Some lists are definitely "to-do" lists. "Call Dad." "Return bracelet." "Call Sally when counselor calls me." (Gotta be more to that story.) "Talk to an attorney about revoking power of attorney." (The bare bones of a novel, perhaps?) One was a holiday list. Which holiday? Guess. "Reindeer ears." For "Sawyer": "headphones, tennis shoes, rifle" (Sawyer, don't shoot your eye out! Or anybody else's!) If Shane was lucky he might be gifted an "outfit, beer stuff, bedding, novelty item" (ah, expect a surprise in your stocking, Shane). I've found phone numbers (need a dentist?)) addresses, library book due dates, dimensions and materials for a "weekend" woodworking project.



I'm not totally averse to lists. Let me list a few of my own. New Year's resolution this year: list all the books I read during the year, titles and authors. Last year: variety of garden produce I took to the Sky Valley food bank: types of produce, dates and pounds of each delivery. I list mite treatment dates and number of applications per colony.

And then there is the intimidating "Honey Do" list. Now I'm not saying that was what showed up on the fridge shortly after I retired from wrangling sophomores, but each time I passed by, I felt a gentle coercion as if each item was a squeaking wheel. Over the next few weeks I made a point of showing the list to house guests, by way of sharing with them what was planned for my newly acquired freedom. The list bullied me for a few weeks. Then it mysteriously disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it....


Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment